03 August 2008

Sunday, 10 July 2008

Today is a rest day. Which is just as well, because I rented a copy of SoulCalibur IV yesterday and stayed up ALL NIGHT playing it. I have been a fan of the SoulCalibur series ever since the original arcade game, and putting Darth Vader in as a character... "Now you understand the power of the Dark Side. (Vooh-Pah)"

I'm finally starting to find my way in my new training regimen. One of the reasons I have such distaste for military PT is that there seems to be no sense of direction, no definable goals; it's just an hour of movement every morning in the hopes of doing well on a test taken once or twice a year. However, I've found a running regimen (Run Less, Run Faster) and a calisthenics program which both have progressive, repeatable goals. I've programmed this into a 13 week program (twelve weeks of training and a week of rest), which fits excellently into a periodization program. I have two six-week microcycles per thirteen week mesocyles, and four mesocycles per macrocyle (year).
The drawback is that the running program is set up for 5k runs (3 miles); since I've been training myself for 2 mile runs for the last five years, I have trouble maintaining a pace for some of the training distances I'm supposed to run. For this mesocycle, therefore, I'm only running half of the recommended distance on long run days; next mesocycle (October through December), I'll try running the full distance.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... What kind of game system do you have? Is SoulCalibur IV a fantasy game? I watched a very interesting segment on a morning show about what it means about a man's personality when he plays either war games, sport games, or fantasy games...

You are doing a good job on all of your training stuff, G.P.! Keep it up!

Gnostic Paladin said...

Thanks!

I have a PlayStation 3... Those categories a bit odd for computer games! A "war" game might include first-person shooters AND strategy games--which are not only very different sorts of games, but most strategy games have many ways to win besides war! And fantasy... there are fantasy "war" games, fantasy role-playing games... all sorts of things! And are we including science fiction elements as "fantasy?"
I'm not sure where the report was going with that...

Anyway, SoulCaliber belongs to the "fighting" genre. Your character is a martial artist fighting to either own or destroy a powerful magical sword called "SoulCalibur." There are strong elements of fantasy, some horror, and a little science fiction this time around (with both Darth Vader and his secret apprentice moonlighting from the upcoming game, "Force Unleashed."

Anonymous said...

Way to make it all complicated!
In the segment I watched, it said that men who played fantasy games are romantic (and make the best boyfriends). Men who play sports games (like Hub) are easy going and fun-loving. Men who play war games (my bgf's Hub) are high-energy and focused.

Something like that...and I am forgetting some things. Sigh. I know it is all just silliness.... It was "The Morning Show with Mike and Juliet" !! :O

Oh, and we have an x-box, but hope to have a wii by Christmas... I don't really play video games... neither does Hub. My bgf's Hub is a video-game fiend and drives my bgf CRAZY. But we hear that the wii is great fun for the whole family.

Anonymous said...

Way to complicate everything, G.P.!!! :/

The segment was on The Morning Show with Mike and Juliette. Supposedly, guys who play fantasy games are romantic and make the best boyfriends!!! Guys who like sports games best (my Hub) are fun-loving and easy going (true about Hub). Guys who like war games (my bgf's Hub) are high-energy (true about bgf's hub).

Anyway, I know it is all just silliness.

We have an xbox. Neither Hub or I are big on video games, but we want to get a wii because we hear it is so much fun for the whole family. My bgf's Hub has xbox 360 and he is obsessed. His gaming drives my bgf cRaZy...

Gnostic Paladin said...

Well, obviously I'm the last person on Earth that anyone should take relationship advice from... but, if the husband enjoys his gaming that much, perhaps the wife could try making it something that they do together, rather than something to object to? She might find a new hobby, and it might make him more amenable to trying activities of hers that he hasn't been interested in.
I don't really game much, but when my last girlfriend wanted to take my attention away from the computer, she had plenty of creative ideas...

Anonymous said...

:O ! ;) !

Sadly, my bgf has a life of chaos. She never has peace. She has no hobbies and hardly any happiness. Her Hub "escapes" through gaming and tunes the chaos out...

She really breaks my heart, and I wish I could help her, but I can't....